Frequently Asked Questions

      Can I get a transcript or copy of Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement from the IRS?


Yes, but an actual copy of your Form W-2 is only available if you submitted it with a paper tax return:


  • You can get a wage and income transcript, containing the Federal tax information your employer reported to the Social Security Administration (SSA), by visiting our Get Your Tax Record page. Refer to Transcript Types and Ways to Order Them and About the New Tax Transcript: FAQs for more information.
  • You can also use Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return. Check the box for Form W-2, specify which tax year(s) you need, and mail or fax the completed form. Allow 10 business days from the IRS received date to receive the transcript.

    Note: Wage and income transcripts are available for up to 10 years, but current tax year information may not be complete until July. This transcript doesn't include any state or local tax information reported by your employer to SSA on Form W-2.


  • If you e-filed your tax return or you didn't attach your Form W-2 to your paper return, then use one of the transcript options above. Otherwise, you'll need to contact your employer or SSA for a copy.

  • The quickest way to obtain a copy of your current year Form W-2 is through your employer. Your employer first submits Form W-2 to SSA; after SSA processes it, they transmit the federal tax information to the IRS.
  • If you can't get your Form W-2 from your employer and you previously attached it to your paper tax return, you can order a copy of the entire return from the IRS for a fee. Complete and mail Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return along with the required fee. Allow 75 calendar days for us to process your request. We will waive the fee for taxpayers impacted by a federally declared disaster or a significant fire. (For more information, see Publication 2194, Disaster Resource Guide for Individuals and Businesses PDF.)
    Is there an age limit on claiming my child as a dependent? 
    To claim your child as your dependent, your child must meet either the qualifying child        test or the qualifying relative test:
  • To meet the qualifying child test, your child must be younger than you and either younger than 19 years old or be a "student" younger than 24 years old as of the end of the calendar year.
There's no age limit if your child is "permanently and totally disabled" or meets the qualifying relative test.
In addition to meeting the qualifying child or qualifying relative test, you can claim that person as a dependent only if these three tests are met:
  1. Dependent taxpayer test
  2. Citizen or resident test, and
  3. Joint return test


Can I settle my unpaid taxes for less than I owe?

If you meet certain criteria, you can.  The offer in compromise program is available but you must file certain forms and meet very strict standards.


What are consequences of not filing a tax return?

If you don't file a required return, the statute of limitations for collections never technically expires.  The IRS can also file a return for you and send you a bill.  They don't give you the benefit of any deductions you might be able to deduct on your own return.